The Client is a US-based global provider of laboratory informatics and lifecycle management software for medical device manufacturers, including biotechnology and nutraceutical devices, supporting life sciences, pharmaceutical, and related industries.
The Client was looking for a test partner to help derive the maximum benefit out of Test Automation framework that would virtually eliminate tedious manual paperwork while enabling a common platform for information exchange.
The most important requirement for the test automation framework was to have an easy-to-use interface and a highly informative report to be generated after executing a test suite. The following steps and processes have been implemented:
• Regular application and/or maintenance (patch) releases
• Have regression, smoke, functional, user acceptance tests that need to be run roughly around ten to ten million times
• Need to test the same feature with lots of different input data. (For example, testing mortgage calculator with web application functionality with 100 different data, or testing web application functionalities in different languages and locales)
• Need to test application on different hardware/software platforms. (For example, testing Ajax functionality in different browsers and operating systems)
Recognizing the needs for a good Test Automation software solution, The Client decided to look for technology solution providers with expertise in Test Automation. All their requirements led The Client into contact with Eclature.
Eclature partnered with The Client, a global provider of laboratory informatics, to meet the business objectives and the inherent challenges involved in such a project. Test automation in Agile development was instrumental in achieving these goals besides getting an improved cost advantage. The major challenges faced were as follows:
• Automation Scripts were written using Selenium, but manual intervention was required from time-to-time.
• The feasibility study of the volume of features for every release, to address all requirements.
• Matching the script creation and keeping the execution time at a minimum.
• Using automated testing as a strategy to increase productivity.
• Bringing scalability (facility to add new modules), updating test scenarios/scripts and speeding up the creation to reduce maintenance cost.
The Client tapped Eclature’s industry knowledge and highly-skilled professionals from the UK and Hyderabad, India delivery centers to provide an automated testing solution in Agile development.
Eclature proposed an automated testing solution that reduced the test execution time and drastically improved the performance of the application. In creating the keyword-driven framework we adhered to these guidelines to produce reliable quality metrics:
- A team of 4 automation test engineers was deployed to get the domain/functional knowledge in a time span of 3-4 weeks.
- Suggested data-driven and dynamic data creation scripts for manual intervention.
- The team adopted the Agile (SCRUM) methodology.
• Creating a test strategy and test plan for the forthcoming Sprint, based on the Product Backlog.
• Creating automation scripts, verification, and validation.
• Created detailed test traceability matrix for each requirement with test scripts coverage.
Over the years of Eclature’s rich experience in test-automating business-critical applications, we have systematized a structured methodology to automation to guarantee that the investment is put to good use by focusing on re-usability and maintainability of the application.
With Eclature’s specialized, flexible services, The Client has been able to quickly scale its business, personnel costs, and reduce maintenance costs annually. The efficient system had allowed the laboratory informatics provider to focus its time and resources to drive competitiveness. The Client reaped the cost and time benefits due to Eclature’s impressive track record in leveraging the low-cost, disciplined, best-of-breed approaches in Test Automation. We automated a number of existing tests and provided required training for all of the teams in order to meet The Client’s objective.
• There were 18 requirements and 135 test scenarios that were automated
• Created 457 automated test cases to cover test cases (with screen captures) for each verification process
• Many test scripts were created, partly with manual intervention
• 135 Test scenarios
• 457 Test cases
• Manual – 50 man days (10 resources/5 days)
• 20 man days (4 resources/5 days)
• Developed test cases along with the Agile development model using the SCRUM process
• Created data-driven test scripts using dynamical data values
• 1 automation resource – 2 manual days (saving 13 man days)
• Achieved 100% test automation coverage
• Parallel execution on multiple machines simultaneously
Eclature’s Test Automation project for The Client had delivered measurable improvements for key success metrics. A 100% open source tool, Selenium, was used for the test automation project. We made use of the following Test Automation tools for the QA process:
• Selenium IDE
• Selenium RC
TECHNOLOGIES & TOOLS STACK
- Selenium WebDriver,
- Apache Ant,
- Android SDK,